6 mins read

I Tried Working From Home For a Week: Here’s What Happened

Last Update: March 2, 2020

Working from home is becoming more and more popular. And why is that? People who work regular nine-to-five jobs have a tendency to think that working from home is a synonym for slacking. However, it’s far from the truth. I figured it would be a good experiment for me to give it a try as well, and see what it means to work remotely. Why is it a new ‘craze’? I talked to my managers, and we agreed on this mini-project of mine.

Day 1: Monday

So I usually try to get up around 7:00 just to have enough time to sip my morning coffee, take a shower and get myself ready and get to the office before 9:00. The thing is, I’m very bad at getting up, so I snooze a couple of my alarms so I always end up running at the office, looking like a scarecrow with coffee I bought on my way. This morning was stress-free. I woke up around 8:45, boiled water for my coffee and turned on my computer. Okay, let’s do this. It was around 1PM, I was still in my bed with my laptop. I haven’t moved the entire time. I figured it was time to take a shower and eat something. I ended up cooking for an hour, totally forgetting about my work. Okay, I’ll work a bit longer today to make up for the time I just lost.

What I learned: Even though I thought my time management skills were pretty good, they weren’t that great. I need to manage my time better or my work day will stretch throughout my entire day, and I’ll feel trapped.

Day 2: Tuesday

Even though it seems awesome to work from bed, I managed to get out it. I don’t want to get a stiff neck again. I made myself a cup of coffee and brought my laptop to the desk. My workday has begun. I made my lunch simultaneously as I did some simpler tasks that needed to be done. I was feeling pretty good about the whole thing, everything was on my own terms, and I felt free. The day was nice and warm, so I went out to the balcony and worked from there. It felt good.

What I learned: If you keep your eye on the watch and don’t waste time on doing other things for longer periods of time, you should be just fine. Also, balconies are a true blessing from the sky.

Day 3: Wednesday

I got a lot of work done the day before, so I knew that today I don’t have to work as much. This mindset was already a bad start, even though I didn’t realize it at the time. I decided to start my day a little bit more casual. I decided to go and grab a coffee with my friend, and then go home and do the work. But coffee turned into brunch, and then I decided to run a few errands, and it was already 2PM. Good thing I don’t have too much work for the day, right? Yeah, I ended up working until 8PM.

What I learned: No coffee and no friends until you finish your work. They say that all work and no play make Jack a dull boy. Well, let me tell you this: I bet Jack runs a successful business.

Day 4: Thursday

Thursday, or as one of my colleagues likes to call it ‘Baby Friday.’ I wonder what my colleagues are doing right now. I remember the inside jokes from the office and get a little sentimental. I start my work thinking about the office. Does anyone even notice I’m not there? Do they feel like I’m not doing anything? Because damn sure that I am. But if it’s not happening in front of their eyes, are they going to believe me that I worked just as hard? I get a severe case of FOMO, but then I collect myself and go on with my day. I do all the work, and I feel like I started developing some kind of routine that’s working out for me. I call my friend from work to ask him what’s happening in the office. Nothing special- the usual. Okay, I guess all is well.

What I learned: I guess the FOMO is inevitable, but with good communication with your managers and coworkers, you should have it under control.

Day 5: Friday

The last day of my experiment. Every Friday is kind of casual because Friday means Baby Saturday, right? I decide not to fall into my trap from Wednesday and go with my day too casually. I follow my routine, but I must admit that following it on Friday seems especially hard. It’s harder to stay focused when you’re at home. I did have some slip-ups, but not that big. I still managed to get the work done.

What I learned: It’s harder to have a casual Friday when you’re working from home because the lone remote work is casual in a way, so it’s easy to overdo it. You need to stay focused and have a lot of self-discipline. But it’s doable.


On Monday I went back to work and everything felt normal. My managers were satisfied with my work, which means I was equally dedicated to my work. It did feel strange without my colleagues. being in an office puts you in a working mood itself. I do understand the attraction of working from home, but it isn’t ideal. However, I learned a few new things about myself. If you’re thinking about it, know that it requires a lot of self-discipline, time management and a lot of communication with the office so you don’t feel alienated and you’re always up to date.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *